MUST READ: If you are registering for our Teen Driver’s Education program, the following are legal and HDI policy requirements that you need to know.
DO NOT REGISTER BEFORE READING THE FOLLOWING. NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN. NO EXCEPTIONS. If there is any doubt on attending a class session, please do not sign up.
- Teens (15 1/2–17 years old) must obtain a learner’s permit which is required for a driver’s education program.
- The State of Hawaii law states that the program, which includes 30 hours of classroom and 6 hours of BTW (behind-the-wheel) instruction, cannot be completed in less than 6 weeks.
- The scheduled classroom meeting dates do not include their BTW (behind-the-wheel) instruction. During their third or fourth classroom meeting, students will sign up for six each 2-hour sessions outside of the classroom meeting dates.
- Taking a driver’s ed class is a commitment like any sport or activity as this is a life skill. You must be able to make yourself available on at least two (2) separate days of the week for BTW (behind-the-wheel) driving time with HDI. You must be able to commit to this requirement.
- Our company policy is to complete the entire program within 8 weeks. As such, do not schedule a road test any sooner than 8 weeks from the first classroom meeting date. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS PROGRAM IF YOU NEED TO COMPLETE IT IN LESS THAN 8 WEEKS. It may be possible to complete in 6 weeks upon request.
- Behind-The-Wheel training typically begins and ends at the classroom location. NOTE: Because of the demanding schedules of students, it is important that your Teen stick to his/her BTW schedule. If that is not possible, we will try to switch your Teen, but you would have to reschedule solo to make up your missed lesson at a cost of $52.35. With this extra charge in mind, do NOT sign up for this program if your Teen cannot commit to at least two (2) days a week of availability for Behind-the-Wheel. If not, please be advised that you will be charged an extra $52.35 to reschedule a solo appointment, which is not the most ideal situation for BTW lessons.
- A written practice driving log listing a description of a minimum of 40 hours of daytime and 10 hours of night time practice driving must start from the first day of class. All previous practice driving cannot be counted toward the log. A blank driving log will be provided to your teen. When completed, the log must be notarized and turned in to the instructor in exchange for the behind-the-wheel completion certificate. This is the final step before taking a road test. Again, to receive this certificate, one parent will need to notarize the practice driving log and turn it into the driving school. This should be done no later than 10 days before the scheduled road test. Should it be turned in later than that, no guarantee can be made that you will receive it on time for your road test date. This certificate along with the classroom completion certificate will need to presented to the examiner at the time of the road test. NOTE: THE NOTARIZED DRIVING LOG MUST BE TURNED IN AT LEAST 10 DAYS BEFORE YOUR ROAD TEST DATE TO BE SURE YOU RECEIVE IT ON TIME. OUR HDI OFFICE IS NOT OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK.
- A mandatory parent orientation meeting on the 1st Saturday class of your session will explain other details and requirements of this program.
By proceeding with registration and making payment you are stating that you have read and understand all of the requirements above.
NOTE: We do NOT offer BTW Only instruction for Teens at this time. We can only accommodate BTW instruction for students who complete classroom instruction with our school via our Teen combo classes.