I. Classroom & Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) – Driver Ed Program
Teenagers under the age of 18 are required by state law to pass both a 30-hour classroom and a 6-hour behind-the-wheel (BTW) course. In addition to this, they must complete a minimum of 50 hours of practice driving. Compared to adults, is it no wonder that the passing rate for teens is very high!
Adults may join our Teen combo program with our approval.
Note: “Adult” refers to those who are 18 years old and older.
The cost for this program is $508.43 ($485.55+Tax), when registered 14 days prior to start of class. Otherwise it is $520.93 ($497.49+Tax). See all combo offerings and current prices here.
II. Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) Only – Driver Ed Program
The great majority of adults take this program. Everything is taught on the road.
The costs for this program are $110/lesson (2 hours) +Tax or $520/10 hours of prepaid lessons +Tax with discount. See all BTW Adult offerings and current prices here.
Review the Terms & Conditions here.
How to Register for Adult Driver Education Classes
1. Decide which is best for you.
- BTW Instruction – Because of busy schedules, most adults opt for this. Instruction is based on 2 hour behind-the-wheel (BTW) lessons. Click here for a guideline on how many hours of lessons to be ready for a road test.
- Classroom and BTW Program – With our permission, you would be allowed to join the mandatory driver education program for teens under the age of 18 years old. The law requires them to complete 30 hours of classroom instruction, 6 hours of behind the wheel instructions, and a minimum of 50 hours of practice driving with someone 21 years or older. It is an excellent program with videos, worksheets, a PowerPoint presentation and dialogue with the added benefit of having a driving partner for your 6 hours of BTW instruction.
2. For Adult BTW instruction, please email us with the following information below and HDI will reply with a proposed schedule of lessons.
- How many hours have you practiced driving and what kind of driving experience do you have? How long ago was your last driving experience?
- What days and times of the week are you available?
- Would you be able to meet us at our office? Meeting us at our office would increase the number of appointments available to you. Our office is located at 99-165 Moanalua Rd., Suite 101, Aiea, HI 96701.
Once appointments have been finalized, please fill out the online “Adult” Classroom or BTW registration form here and pay online via credit card. If paying by cash, please follow the payment instructions here.
3. How Adults may join the HDI Teen Driver Education Program:
- Please call (808) 488-0001 to request joining this program.
- Please determine which Teen Combo class best fits your schedule here. Make note of the class number (e.g., Class #1407).
- Check to see that the class that best fits your schedule is open.
- If seats are available, fill out the corresponding “Adult” Classroom & BTW registration form. For example, if the Teen Combo Class #1404 best fits your schedule and seats are available, fill out the corresponding Adult #1404 registration form here.
- Pay online via credit card. If paying by check or cash, please follow the payment instructions here.
- Seat is not reserved until payment is received.
- HDI will enroll you into the Teen combo class after registering and making payment via the “Adult” Classroom & BTW registration form.
- A confirmation letter with other information will be e-mailed to you.
Map: 99-165 Moanalua Rd., Suite 101 is located in the “Aiea Village Square.” When driving Town Bound on Moanalua Road, turn Oceanside at Aiea Heights Drive. You are now on Kauhale Street. Turn into the first driveway on the right. Just past “Daiichi,” the building on the right, there is another building further away Mountainside. We are in the suite with the tinted windows located under the “Smooth Tea” sign on the Diamond Head, ground-floor corner, Suite #101. This would be the best drop off area for classes. There is a short walk along a fence to the classroom. You may drop off, pick up or park in the stalls in front of the classroom. When visiting the office, please be sure to park in the smaller (Aiea Village Square) parking lot where HDI is located. You may only park in the Aiea Town Square parking lot on the following days and times: Saturdays any time after 1:30pm, all day on Sundays and M-F any time after 4:30pm. Other than these limited times, DO NOT park in the Aiea Town Square parking lot.
ALTERNATE ROUTE TO CLASSROOM LOCATION
Another access point to the Aiea Village Square building and classroom is to turn Oceanside at the traffic light North or Ewa of Aiea Heights Drive at Heleconia Place. It is a narrow and steeper 2-way driveway. Within 75 feet, turn left again into a narrow parking lot. This parking lot is small and narrow (you may park in this parking lot too). Drive straight until reaching the Diamond Head corner of the building where our suite is located under the “Smooth Tea” sign. You may drop off, pick up or park in the stalls in front of the classroom. You may exit by driving up the narrow ramp alongside the building or by turning around and exiting the way you came in. Again, when visiting the office, please be sure to park in the smaller (Aiea Village Square) parking lot where HDI is located. You may only park in the Aiea Town Square parking lot on the following days and times: Saturdays any time after 1:30pm, all day on Sundays and M-F any time after 4:30pm. Other than these limited times, DO NOT park in the Aiea Town Square parking lot.
PARENT MEETING PARKING
Note: The parent meeting will be held at 1:45pm of the first Saturday classroom meeting. Parents may unofficially park in the adjacent Aiea Town Square parking lot at that time only for the 45-minute parent meeting. Please do not park there on Saturdays before 1:00pm as the parking attendant will ask you to leave. Please also check the Aiea Commercial Center parking lot for additional parking. Normally there is no parking attendant on Saturdays in this parking lot. See our detailed map.
SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
Class sessions have been scheduled to provide flexibility to accommodate your busy lifestyles. If there is room, students may join any class already in session and make up missed classes in future sessions with our approval. Generally, our sessions are either after school, 8 or 10 meetings of 3 hour or 4 hour classes; and Saturday or vacation sessions of 5 meetings of 6 hour classes. Please note that behind the wheel classes cannot begin until the student has completed a minimum of the first 18 hours of classroom. Techniques and methods explained in these classes are practiced in the first behind the wheel session onward.
Note that all classes are subject to demand and availability. Contact Hawaii Driving Institute as follows: Call (808) 488-0001, text (808) 306-9552, or email us for the latest details on class availability and location. The information provided on this site is updated periodically, so check back often to see if there have been any changes.
For more information about our classes, please see our FAQs page.